Ladies and gentlemen, distinguished guests, and fellow industry professionals, welcome to the panel discussion on “Sustainable and Smart Manufacturing: Driving Roadmap of Innovation for Industry.” Today, we have gathered here to explore the crucial intersection of sustainability, technology, and manufacturing, and the remarkable individuals who are leading the way in this transformative journey. Each of our distinguished panelist brings a wealth of knowledge and experience, offering unique perspectives on sustainable energy, drone technology, digital transformation, and renewable energy solutions.
My name is Ivan, and I am proud to be your moderator for the session, as we explore and uncover the driving roadmap of innovation for industry with our distinguished panelists. Before we begin, let me start by introducing our panelists:
Tan Teck Lee is the Chairman of The Institution of Engineering and Technology (Singapore Network) with over 30 years of experience in the power and energy industry. He is a registered Professional Electrical Engineer in Singapore and has expertise in power transmission, project management, power quality investigations, and power systems network studies. Teck Lee graduated with First-Class Honors in Electronics & Electrical Engineering from the University of Glasgow and has received several awards for his contributions to the power engineering profession. He is dedicated to sustainable energy and actively mentors young engineers to foster their growth and development.
Ir Dr Tiagrajah is the Chief Technology Officer of Aerodyne Group, a leading company specializing in drone technology, data platforms, and digital transformation. Aerodyne Group has been ranked as the top Global Drone Service Provider by Drone Industry Insights for two consecutive years. Dr. Tiagrajah is actively involved in agriculture drone design, assembly, and module development. He spearheads R&D efforts in plant health evaluation and soil movement estimation using multispectral sensors attached to unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs). He has also developed a cloud-hosted geographic information system (GIS) platform for visualizing and analyzing UAV-captured data, providing data-driven mapping styles and intuitive analysis tools.
With over 25 years of experience, Harish is an entrepreneurial leader in the Digital industry. He has successfully delivered projects and formulated digital strategies for various companies and brands. Prior to founding IRGA and 27Digital, he co-founded multiple digital ventures and worked for advertising agencies. Harish possesses a wide range of expertise in areas such as Digital Marketing, Digital Transformation, Consulting, Customer Experience, Product Development, Fintech, and Agritech. His comprehensive understanding of the digital landscape enables him to offer valuable insights to clients. Currently, at IRGA, he oversees Agritech innovation, R&D, integration, and commercial aspects. Harish’s creative solutions have garnered numerous accolades and awards.
Mr. Yong Sien Wae is the CEO and Director of Hasilwan (M) Sdn. Bhd, overseeing operations and investments in the power grid, renewable energy, energy efficiency, and electric mobility sectors. With a Mechanical Engineering degree from Purdue School of Engineering, he holds 17 years of experience in power engineering. Mr. Yong has held diverse roles in manufacturing, sales, business development, and senior management. Previously, he served as the Director of Business Development & Power Distribution Division at Toshiba T&D Systems Asia. Additionally, he serves on the boards of companies involved in power automation and solar operations, and is an Executive Committee member of Malaysia’s largest EV association, ZEVA. Driven by his passion for renewable energy and low-carbon solutions, Mr. Yong strives for collaboration and commercially viable solutions to advance towards a carbon-neutral world. Recently, he was admitted as the Fellow ASEAN Academy of Engineering and Technology (AAET)
[6 mins – Checkpoint 1400]
Tan Teck Lee [Total 10 mins]
- As a registered Professional Electrical Engineer in Singapore, what specific initiatives or projects have you been involved in to promote sustainable and smart manufacturing in the country? (3 mins)
- In your opinion, what are the most exciting opportunities in the field of sustainable energy today, and how can young engineers contribute to driving innovation in this area? (3 mins)
- How do you envision the future of sustainable and smart manufacturing? What trends or technologies do you believe will have the most significant impact on the industry? (3 mins)
(Checkpoint – Max 1415)
Ir Dr Tiagrajah [Total 10 mins]
- Aerodyne Group has been ranked as the number one Global Drone Service Provider for two consecutive years. How has your organization contributed to advancing sustainability through drone technology? (3 mins)
- In your opinion, what are the key benefits of incorporating drone technology and data platforms into Malaysia’s industries? How can these technologies drive efficiency, sustainability, and innovation in the industry? (3 mins) [Suggestion: Map your answer to various industries (e.g. give example how drones can be used for inspection and etc…), and then focus on agriculture, because my next question will target agriculture…]
- What are some of the challenges or barriers that need to be addressed when implementing drone technology and data platforms in the agriculture sector? How can these challenges be overcome to ensure widespread adoption and success? (3 mins) (Checkpoint – Max 1430)
<Ivan to drive discussion to agriculture from drone, citing Aerodyne’s involvement in agriculture in Malaysia> (2 min)
Harish [Total 10 mins]
- At IRGA, you oversee Agritech innovation, R&D, integration, and commercials of solutions for plantations and farms. Can you elaborate on the innovative solutions you have developed and how they contribute to sustainable and efficient agricultural practices? (3 mins)
- Collaboration and partnerships often play a significant role in driving digital innovation. What are your views on fostering collaborations between different stakeholders, such as industry, government, and academia, to accelerate digital advancements? (3 mins)
- How do you stay updated with the latest developments and emerging technologies in the digital landscape? How important is continuous learning and adaptability in your role as an entrepreneurial and strategic leader? (3 mins)
(Checkpoint – Max 1445)
Yong Sien Wai [Total 10 mins]
- Can you share any success stories or notable achievements from your efforts in advancing renewable energy, energy efficiency, or electric mobility solutions? How have these initiatives made a positive impact? (3 mins)
- In your opinion, what are the main challenges and opportunities in the renewable energy and electric mobility sectors? How can businesses and governments effectively address these challenges and capitalize on the opportunities? (3 mins)
- What advice would you give to organizations or individuals looking to embark on sustainable energy projects or invest in the renewable energy sector? What key factors should they consider to ensure success and impact? (3 mins)
(Checkpoint – Max 1500)
(Buffer – Max 1510)
Thank you to our esteemed panelists for sharing your valuable insights. Now, it’s time to open the floor to our audience for a stimulating question-and-answer session. Your participation is crucial in shaping the discussion and exploring new perspectives. Please raise your hand if you have a question for our panelists, and we will bring a microphone to you.
Thank you all for your thought-provoking questions and engaging in this enlightening discussion on sustainable and smart manufacturing. We’ve had the privilege of hearing from exceptional individuals who are driving innovation, pushing boundaries, and transforming industries towards a more sustainable future. (@1510 – Close question and take over for closing)
The insights shared by our panelists have underscored the importance of collaboration, embracing emerging technologies, and integrating sustainable practices into manufacturing processes. It is evident that sustainable and smart manufacturing is not only a necessity but also an opportunity for businesses to thrive and contribute to a greener, more efficient world.
Thank you once again to our esteemed panelists and to all of you for your participation. Let’s continue the conversation beyond this session, collaborating and working towards a sustainable and smart manufacturing landscape.